*Recipe and image courtesy of OIMP.
Yield: Serves 4
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil 6 strips Ontario thick cut bacon, chopped 2 cups (500 mL) cooked quinoa 2/3 cup (150 mL) finely shredded Mozzarella cheese 3 tbsp (45 mL) all purpose flour 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced red onion 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp olive oil and bacon. Cook until bacon is almost crisp, 8 minutes. Save bacon fat. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- In a mixing bowl combine bacon, quinoa, cheese, flour, red onion and egg. Shape into 8 evenly sides cakes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for 20 minutes until firm.
- To cook, remove all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) bacon fat from the skillet. Cook fritters in batches until golden on both sides, 4 minutes per side. Serve warm alongside a green salad.
Quinoa Cooking 101:
- Rinse 1 cup quinoa under cold water for 2 minutes.
- Stir quinoa into 2 cups boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until water has absorbed. Turn off heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.