Follow this recipe to make a delicious and easy pork wellington! The recipe I am going to show you makes 3 individually portioned pork wellingtons, although you can easily double the recipe to make 6 for a larger family (or party).
Yield: 3 mini pork wellingtons
2 Tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
1 onion, finely diced
1 container of mushrooms (340g), finely diced
1/2 cup (120 mL) beef broth
1 (375g) Ontario pork tenderloin
1 sheet (1/2 package) of puff pastry
1 egg 2 Tbsp (30 mL)
2 Tbsp (30 mL) milk
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a cookie sheet in the oven as it warms. Once the wellingtons are done you are going to place them directly onto the hot sheet. This helps to prevent a soggy bottom.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp of butter in a frying-pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in onions and sweat for around one minute. Then add mushrooms and continue to cook down for around 10 minutes or until very little or no moisture remains in this mixture and the mushrooms are blackened.
3. Deglaze the pan with the beef broth. Once the mixture is dry again, add salt and pepper to taste. Allow this mixture to cool in the fridge.
4. Trim your pork tenderloin and portion it out into three different pieces. Season with salt and pepper. In the same pan you used for your mushroom mixture, add 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp of butter and bring to high heat. Sear off each section of pork so that it has a nice brown crust on the outside, this will add lots of flavor to your pork wellington. Once all three portions are seared off, place them in the fridge to cool while you roll out the puff pastry.
5. Flour the counter and a rolling pin generously so that the puff pastry does not stick. Roll out into a rectangular sheet that is around ¼” thick. Cut into three different sections, Place mushroom mixture directly onto the puff pastry and place the pork section on top. Wrap the puff pastry around the pork and seal tightly. Brush with an egg wash (mixture of egg and milk). Once wellingtons are made up, place them on the hot pan and cook for 15- 20 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) has been reached.