Caroline Fernandez is the busy mom of three children (aged 5-15) and creator of Parent Club. As a popular family blogger, Canadian author, and freelance writer – Caroline specializes in family and lifestyle features.
Time to rethink the usual BLT and try this Peameal Bacon BLT Sandwich recipe. Yes, peameal bacon (known as Canadian bacon outside of Canada). This is a great family-friendly dinner idea (and it can be made in under 30 minutes!).
How to make a Peameal Bacon BLT Sandwich
Aside: Because I have a family of 5 – I tend to batch cook peameal bacon in the oven (saves me from standing over the stove when I could be helping my kids with homework).
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Call it Canadian bacon or peameal bacon – it’s delish either way! Here’s how to make a Peameal Bacon BLT Sandwich:
- Peameal bacon (sliced)
- Bun (white or whole wheat)
- Tomato (sliced)
- Iceberg lettuce (chopped)
- Mayo (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 ˚C
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (makes clean up easier)
- Place slices of peameal bacon on cookie sheet
- Bake peameal bacon slices on parchment lined cookie sheet in centre of oven for 30 minutes
Pan fry method:
- Pan fry slices of peameal bacon 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Flip over and cook other side for 2-3 minutes
- Slice bun
- Layer slices of tomato, chopped lettuce, and peameal bacon slice. Add mayonnaise to top of bun (optional)
I also tend to double cook peameal bacon (i.e. cook the whole package) because it’s a cook once/eat twice ingredient – where you can cook it for a Peameal Bacon BLT Sandwich today and then cube it up and send it tomorrow as a school lunch or part of a salad as an office lunch.